The Hockaday School is a private college preparatory school for girls. Located on a scenic campus populated with sprawling oak trees, the facilities include lower and upper schools, an academic research center, a wellness center, and a fine arts center.
Recognizing that the existing buildings created an insular environment, Overland devised a plan to make student life inside the buildings visible from the outdoors, and vice versa, by opening up the interiors to the beautiful campus landscape. The design team also saw an opportunity to create what Principal in Charge Tim Blonkvist describes as “a center of gravity for the campus” with the Academic Research Center, which is located at the intersection of the campus’ many components.
The new libraries more than exceed all of the requirements for our library program, including space, functionality and quality. Moreover, they have already made a tremendous difference in the lives of our students, faculty and staff.
- AIA/AASA Committee on Architecture for Education Citation Honoree 2007
- AIA/ALA Library Building Award of Excellence 2003
- AIA Dallas Design Honor Award 2002
- AIA San Antonio Merit Award 2002
- Texas Architect, “Smart Growth,” January 2006
- Europaconcorsi, “The Hockaday School,” October 2005
- The Dallas Morning News, “Minds Over Matter,” June 2003
- American Libraries, “Interiors Showcase,” April 2003
IN ASSOCIATION WITH GOOD FULTON & FARRELL ARCHITECTS