The St. Anthony was originally built to be one of downtown San Antonio’s grand destination hotels. After decades of decline, Overland was enlisted to restore the forgotten gem to its rightful prominence.
The Decade Of Downtown
Like many of San Antonio’s historic city center buildings, The St. Anthony suffered from neglect as civic and entrepreneurial attention focused elsewhere throughout the 1980s and ’90s. When city leadership declared 2010–2020 the “decade of downtown,” it spurred a reinvestment that would uncover architectural treasures, invigorate parks, and invite new businesses and residences throughout downtown. As a destination for the new millennium, downtown once again found itself in need of grand spaces for events and discerning clientele.
Luxury In Context
The property was to become part of the Starwood Luxury Collection of hotels, and with that brand came a set of high expectations. To set themselves apart, the luxury hotels of the world are moving away from uniform, international aesthetics and looking for the hyper-local character that makes each experience unique. Beneath piecemeal additions and quick-fix updates, Overland knew that The St. Anthony held exactly that kind of character to match its ideal central downtown location.
The Beauty That Lies Beneath
- Historic Tax Credit: Preservation’s Best 2016
- Power of Preservation San Antonio: Best Preservation Project 2016
- Hospitality Design, “Perspectives, Trends, Historic Renovations,” March 2016
- The Rivard Report, “A Legend Reborn as The St. Anthony Hotel,” November 2015
- Culture Map San Antonio, “San Antonio’s Historic Luxury Hotel Undergoes Grand Transformation,” November 2015
- San Antonio Express News, “A Face-lift Worthy of Queen of S.A. Hotels,” November 2015
- The Rivard Report, “St. Anthony Hotel a Treasure Trove of San Antonio History,” July 2015
- San Antonio Express News, “St. Anthony was called ‘Waldorf on the Prairie,'” March 2015
- Hospitality Design, “Starwood Hotels&Resorts Set to Expand to 200 Luxury Hotels,” February 2015
- The Rivard Report, “Grandeur Returns to The St. Anthony Hotel,” May 2014